Coach in the Spotlight - Mike James
As part of our regular 'Coach In The Spotlight' feature, we are holding a series of short interviews with GPTCA members sharing their coaching success story. We have this week put Mike James, our B level coach, in the hot seat and asked some quick fire questions.
1. What is your current work in progress?
Developing Loughborough into the best tennis academy in Europe!
2. How did you begin coaching pro players? How long have you been coaching?
I began shadowing at a club in Leicestershire, UK. I've been coaching for 12 years now.
3. What keeps you motivated to come to work each day and keep coaching through the years?
Variety is key working with different ages and standards. Taking a holistic approach is key as a coach.
4. What skills/characteristics do you look for in your players?
I aways look for a player that wants to go above and beyond in their training. Having an athlete that works is the key.
5. What is the biggest challenge you've had as a coach and how did you overcome it?
The biggest challenge was changing a culture at a tennis centre that I became Head Coach at. I created a set of key beliefs that players, parents and coaches bought into.
6. What is your most successful coaching moment so far?
Winning Derbyshire coach of the year 2010.
7. What advice would you give to new coaches?
Work hard, you can learn off every coach you meet and develop your own philosophy.
8. What inspires your work?
9. What is your next coaching goal?
Create my own academy.
Coach in the Spotlight - Leo Alonso
First GPTCA Course Completed in India
C and B Level Course in Milan Completed
Chris Kermode named ATP chief
pmouratoglou: @darren_cahill @Wimbledon Congratulations to Simona and yourself Darren. She played incredible tennis in the final. Well deserved.
pmouratoglou: RT @MouratoglouAcad: Yes, Johnny Mac, we do have dorms
giorgiodipa: @ACBLbridge Dbl. Always a useful bid, when you're looking to put your partner on the spot!
giorgiodipa: @arnaudclement Parles pour toi!! Mika a gagné du pois! Quelle couple! Bravo, @arnaudclement @micallodra
pmouratoglou: For the moment, Novak is on « survival » mode, trying to contain Roger’s permanent attacks. He needs to find more d… https://t.co/kKPFBixsvc
pmouratoglou: RT @bgtennisnation: Funny
pmouratoglou: RT @ChrisMcKendry: And wait... there’s more! But this is it, @pmouratoglou, we promise! @ChrissieEvert